- Fourth quarter fiscal 2017 revenue of $226.0 million increased 4.0% sequentially and 31.5% year-over-year.
- Fourth quarter fiscal 2017 diluted EPS was $0.34 on a GAAP basis, and $0.43 on a non-GAAP basis.
- Fiscal year 2017 revenue of $858.7 million increased 43.0% year-over-year.
- Fiscal year 2017 diluted EPS was $0.39 on a GAAP basis, and $1.25 on a non-GAAP basis.
- Used proceeds from the strategic Orogen investment, which closed on May 3, 2017, to pay down $81 million of debt and to establish a $30 million stock buyback program.
Westborough, MA – Virtusa Corporation (NASDAQ GS: VRTU), a global business consulting and IT outsourcing company that accelerates business outcomes for its clients, reported consolidated financial results for the fourth quarter and fiscal year ended March 31, 2017.
Fourth Quarter Fiscal 2017 Consolidated Financial Results
Revenue for the fourth quarter of fiscal 2017 was $226.0 million, an increase of 4.0% sequentially and 31.5% year-over-year. On a constant currency basis, (1) fourth quarter revenue increased 4.1% sequentially and 34.7% year-over-year.
Virtusa reported GAAP income from operations of $10.2 million for the fourth quarter of fiscal 2017, an increase from $6.5 million for the third quarter of fiscal 2017 and $5.5 million for the fourth quarter of fiscal 2016. Fourth quarter fiscal 2017 GAAP income from operations includes approximately $0.5 million of restructuring charges related to certain cost savings initiatives.
On a GAAP basis, net income attributable to common shareholders was $10.5 million for the fourth quarter of fiscal 2017, or $0.34 per diluted share, compared to $4.4 million, or $0.15 per diluted share, for the third quarter of fiscal 2017, and $12.3 million, or $0.41 per diluted share, for the fourth quarter of fiscal 2016. Fourth quarter fiscal 2017 GAAP net income includes the impact of the aforementioned restructuring charges related to certain cost savings initiatives, net of tax.
Balance Sheet and Cash Flow
The Company ended fiscal year 2017 with $237.0 million of cash, cash equivalents, and short-term and long-term investments (2). Cash flow from operations was $0.6 million for the fourth quarter and $22.2 million for the fiscal year 2017.
Kris Canekeratne, Virtusa’s Chairman and CEO, stated, “We made excellent progress against our FY 2017 strategic goals. Most notably, we are pleased with the integration of Polaris and our ability to greatly expand our addressable market in BFSI, Communications & Technology and Media & Information. We are very pleased with the number of leading enterprises that rely on Virtusa for their most strategic end-to-end digital transformation programs. Looking to fiscal 2018, we will intensify our digital offerings and strengthen our leadership position in this rapidly growing area. We are delighted that Vikram S. Pandit joined our board and the strategic value he brings. Additionally, we are enthusiastic about leveraging Orogen's and Atairos’ network to advance our growth strategy by bringing our digital offerings to enterprises in their network.”
Ranjan Kalia, Chief Financial Officer, said, “We delivered strong sequential revenue growth and operating margin accretion in the fourth quarter. Our Q4 non-GAAP EPS was below the midpoint of our guidance range primarily due to a shift forward of certain expenses in our cost of sales. Looking to fiscal 2018, we expect to deliver above-industry revenue growth as well as continued margin accretion even after absorbing INR headwinds of approximately 45 basis points. Additionally, due to the recently completed strategic investment by the Orogen group, we have strengthened our balance sheet by increasing our net cash position and expect to return capital to shareholders through our share buyback program. ”
Virtusa management provided the following current financial guidance:
- First quarter fiscal 2018 revenue is expected to be in the range of $222.5 to $227.5 million. GAAP diluted EPS is expected to be in the range of $0.07 to $0.13. Non-GAAP diluted EPS is expected to be in the range of $0.24 to $0.30.
- Fiscal year 2018 revenue is expected to be in the range of $920.0 to $950.0 million. GAAP diluted EPS is expected to be in the range of $0.81 to $1.07. Non-GAAP diluted EPS is expected to be in the range of $1.42 to $1.66.
In accordance with US GAAP, Virtusa will be applying the if-converted method to its newly issued convertible preferred shares when reporting its Fiscal Year 2018 results. The if-converted method is used to calculate the share impact of convertible securities. Under this method, only in-the-money convertible securities are considered when calculating EPS. EPS guidance has been calculated on a GAAP and Non-GAAP basis as follows:
- GAAP EPS guidance was calculated under the assumption that these convertible securities will remain out-of-the-money during fiscal year 2018. Hence, when calculating EPS, dividends paid on the convertible preferred shares have been deducted from net income attributable to common stockholders and the convertible preferred shares have been excluded from weighted average shares outstanding.
- Non-GAAP EPS guidance was calculated by excluding the impact of dividends paid on the convertible preferred shares from net income attributable to common stockholders and including the impact of the convertible preferred shares in weighted average shares outstanding, as the Company expects these convertible preferred shares to eventually be converted into shares of common stock.
The Company’s first quarter and fiscal year 2018 diluted GAAP EPS estimates are based on average share counts of approximately 30.7 million and 30.8 million, respectively, (assuming no further exercises of stock-based awards). The Company’s first quarter and fiscal year 2018 diluted Non-GAAP EPS estimates are based on average share counts of approximately 32.6 million and 33.5 million, respectively, (assuming no further exercises of stock-based awards). GAAP and Non-GAAP average share counts assume a stock price of $31.75, which was derived from the average closing price of the Company’s stock over the five trading days ended on May 11, 2017. Deviations from this stock price may cause actual diluted EPS to vary based on share dilution from Virtusa’s stock options and stock appreciation rights.